This morning Madeline came in to our room around 7 and said, "Get up Mom. MOM, just GET UP! Come on MOM, OPEN YOUR EYES (poking my eyes)!" I asked her to talk nice and explained that people like to be woken up nicely. As I followed her to the kitchen to make chocolate milk I thought- do I boss her around like that? And mentally started searching sound bytes in my head to see if I sound like that. I do say, "Madeline, now come on!" But I try really hard to always follow every request with please and to have a sing songy tone. Only after 25 times do my pleas become commands...maybe that's the problem?
I opened the cabinet and reached for her purple sippy cup. I stopped myself. I thought- if I make her chocolate milk in anything other than the princess cup she is going to pitch a fit. This thought made me mad. I couldn't believe that I lived in fear of what my THREE year old would do if I put her chocolate milk in the wrong cup. Then I scanned the cabinet for my favorite coffee cup and felt that familiar warmth and happiness upon finding my UALR mug. It is just the right size and it keeps my coffee hotter longer than any other cups we have. And yes, I thought about it. I saw things as Madeline might. I understood the perfect princess sippy cup that probably makes her chocolate milk taste a lot better than the plain purple one.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i know what you mean. my "i heart jim" mug is p.perfect for morning joe. does this make us 3 too?! :)
ReplyDeleteMy hot chocolate MUST be in my Sourdough Express mug. It is a little place in Homer that I have great memories of (Aunt Wanda's memorial weekend). It is pink, perfectly shaped & huge. I discovered a chip in the lid & I am searching for ways to fix it. It is my perfect cup!
ReplyDelete